Built in 1210 Redwood Castle was destroyed in 1650. Now lovingly restored, Redwood Castle is well worth a visit. It lies North of the Birr-Portumna Road.
Built by the Normans, Redwood Castle was occupied by the O’Kennedys until they installed the MacEgans hereditary Brehons or lawyers, who established a school of learning here, which was patronised by the family for several hundred years. Come and see history unfold in the stone – a good example of Síle naGig.
Open Daily 7 days a week from Sunday 4th. July to Sunday 29th. August 2010.
Other dates open this year:
13th., 20th., 27th. June.
5th. 12th., 19th. September.